Are you a Jurassic Park event manager?
We recently read this comment by someone who called himself a “member of the Jurassic Park class of event managers” …
…. because he looks askance at those who think they can pack everything they need to manage an event on their laptops and mobile phones.
Besides loving the phrase “Jurassic Park event manager,” it got us thinking about the changes we’ve seen in this industry over the years.
So herewith are a few of the signs for those of you who are venerable velociraptors of the meetings kind (only with much nicer temperaments!):
1. You wax nostalgic over the “handshake” deals of the past as you review page 27 of your upcoming meeting’s 52-page contract.
2. Texting is all well and good, but there’s nothing like walkie-talkies to communicate with staff on site.
3. You have a fax machine and aren’t afraid to use it.
4. Even though the dress code is casual and the on-site hours are long, you always dress to impress.
5. OK, so we know that participants may in fact be tweeting pithy quotes and otherwise engaging with the meeting content, but you still find yourself wanting to collect everyone’s phones at the ballroom door so they will at least look like they’re paying attention.
6. When someone doesn’t respond to your e-mails and texts, instead of ramping up the e-contact you pick up the phone and call them.
7. You always have, and always will, love that three-ring binder.
For those of you who have been in the industry forever – what would you add to the list?
Trackback from your site.